Hey hope you guys have been having a terrific holiday season!
Before you get any further into the post, yes I know I misspelled the movie title (keep reading as to why).
For Christmas I bought my wife the 2 disc special edition of Disney's The Lion King - one of her favorite movies. I was especially proud that I was able to score a "new" shrink-wrapped copy off of eBay for just $13!
After we'd unwrapped all of our other gifts, we went back and opened the DVD box to peruse through the souvenir booklet that always comes inside of special edition DVDs. My wife goes through the booklet first, which I suppose this was only fair, it was after all her gift.
After she got through the booklet - and merrily making comments about all of the great features, she gave the booklet to check out. "Hmm, looks pretty cool", I remarked, but as I sat looking at thing there were several design oddities that didn't look right to me:
- First, the vast difference in color from the booklet's cover (show on right side) compared to the DVD cover (on left side). Can you see the booklet cover on the right has a weird green cast to it?
- Why would there be a hyphen between the words "All New"?
- Lastly, beyond the color discrepancy of the 2 covers (and hyphen issue), I critically remarked, "Hey, what the heck? The pictures in this booklet were fuzzy!" It was like the designer intentionally went on to the web to pick off 72dpi, low resolution images. Why would a Disney designer do this if she/he had access to the originals? Didn't make a lot of sense to me - I couldn't understand how Disney could turn out such a poorly designed project...
The coup de grace for me was putting down the booklet and checking out the graphics on the DVD case - it was there I found the answer to my, "Does Disney suck at design now?" riddle.
I went ahead and scanned the back graphic on the DVD case for you...see anything goofy? Yes, not withstanding the grammatical errors, I've gone ahead and highlighted some of the designer's "oversights" - be prepared to laugh...or get sick:
- The King of All Animated FIEMS?!?!?
- WIth it unforgettable...
- Why is the UPC/ISBN mark so far to the left - leaving almost 1/2" of empty space over on the right?
- Check out the kerning in the word "you'll", there's enough space to drive a truck through there.
- Speaking of the word "you'll", check out the weight of the lowercase letter, "l" - it's lighter than all of the other letters.
- How about Elton John's smash hit, "The Cirlce of Life"?!?!?
- At the bottom you'll see, "Bring a Themme Park" - not sure this has two "m's" in it
- Finally, my personal favorite, one of the lines in Elton John's song, "there is more to be seen that has ever beer seen..." Beer - what the heck is the word beer doing in there? Sounds like a Freudian slip to me, the designer must have been eagerly anticipating happy hour later in the evening.
Well, I am sure you guys have already guessed as I did - perhaps the reason why I got the special edition of The Lion King for $13 is that it was a pirated version - and a bad one at that.
Bad Photoshop work, bad color management and image reproduction, and spelling mistakes that would embarrass a 6th grader - guys, the next time you get a designer to help you pirate DVD's make sure they can fricken spell - jackasses.